Handcrafted Flour Tortillas
These are so simple to make & you’ll be so glad you handcrafted them yourself! You won’t want to purchase them in a store anymore!
- 4 cups gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tsp. organic & gluten free baking powder
- 3 tablespoons shortening or lard
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- In a large bowl combine all of the dry ingredients. With a sharp knife, cut the shortening or lard into small pieces. Add pieces to dry ingredients and thoroughly combine with your fingers until a uniform consistency is achieved.
- Add hot water & lightly work into dough.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface & continue kneading until a smooth ball is formed. Divide dough into 16 equal sized portions and allow to rest under damp (not wet) cloth for 10 to 15 minutes.
- If you don’t have a tortilla press, then place each small dough portion, onto a lightly floured surface. With a floured rolling pin, roll the dough into a thin, round shape.
- Tip: Turn the dough 90 degrees every so often to create a uniform round shape.
- Preheat a large dry skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium-high heat. Add one rolled out dough circle & heat until golden brown. Then flip & cook until golden brown on other side.
- Repeat with remaining dough pieces. Place each finished tortilla in tortilla warmer or wrap in aluminum foil to keep warm. Serve immediately with your favorite fillings.