This is a wonderful recipe to eat as a side dish. But it’s even better if you want to take it to a potluck, church picnic or other get together!
- 3/4 c. full-fat, unflavored Greek yogurt
- 1 T. organic honey
- 2 T. fresh lemon juice
- 1 T. fresh lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- 1/2 small red onion, outer skin removed & cut into thin slices
- 2 large heads fresh broccoli, tough stems removed, rinsed, & broken into florets
- 6 slices bacon (pork or turkey), cooked crispy & crumbled
- 1/4 c. fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/3 c. toasted pumpkin seeds, unsalted
- To make the dressing, combine the Greek yogurt, honey, lemon juice & zest in a small bowl. Season with salt & pepper (to taste). Set aside.
- Add the broccoli florets to a large, microwave safe dish & add 2 to 3 T. water. Cover & microwave on high for 4 to 5 minutes, or until florets are crisp tender. (Check after 3 minutes & adjust cooking time accordingly).
- Remove from microwave & drain excess liquid. Set aside, uncovered & allow steamed florets to cool.
- In a large glass or other non-reactive bowl, combine the red onion, broccoli, crumbled bacon & fresh parsley. Toss gently to combine. Top with 1/2 Greek yogurt dressing & toss again until ingredients are thoroughly coated. Cover & refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight before serving. Cover & reserve remaining dressing as well.
- Toss chilled salad with remaining dressing right before serving, or serve on the side for those who prefer a little extra dressing. Sprinkle with the toasted pumpkin seeds right before serving to keep them crunchy.