Viva la Mexico! You don’t have to wait to eat these quesadillas until Cinco de Mayo, they’re oh so tasty any day of the year!
Makes 4 Quesadillas
- 2 T. organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small or 1/2 medium onion, finely minced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or water
- 2 T. taco seasoning mix
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 2 T. butter
- 8 – 10” flour tortillas
- 2 cups precooked chicken, shredded (rotisserie works great)
- 2 cup shredded white cheese (Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack)
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, stems removed and finely chopped.
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced (optional)
- Add extra virgin olive oil and onion to large cold skillet. Heat over medium-high heat until onion becomes translucent, about 6 – 8 minutes. Add garlic and stir for 1 – 2 minutes or until it starts to turn brown.
- Add chicken broth, taco seasoning, salt and pepper to pan. Stir until dry ingredients are completely dissolved.
- Add shredded chicken to the pan and toss to coat in the seasonings. Turn heat to medium-low and simmer until any excess moisture is absorbed. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Place butter in a clean skillet and heat over medium-high heat until melted. Swirl until bottom of pan is thoroughly covered.
- Place one tortilla in pan. Top with 1/2 cup seasoned shredded chicken mixture and 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Add fresh cilantro and diced jalapeno peppers, if desired.
- Distribute ingredients evenly and place second tortilla on top. Carefully flip once the bottom tortilla turns golden brown.
- Once both sides are browned and cheese is melted, remove from heat and slice into 8 wedges.
- Serve immediately with fresh salsa, guacamole, sour cream or pico de gallo.