The Asiago cheese makes *all* the difference in these quick & easy smashed taters! They add a nutty flavor to the dish & when you top everything off with butter and fresh parsley, you’ll think you’re in heaven!
- 1 lb. small red fingerling or Yukon Gold potatoes
- 5 T. unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
- 4 oz. aged Asiago cheese, freshly grated
- 3 T. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
Tip: If you don’t have a potato masher you can use the bottom of a heavy coffee mug or soup bowl to flatten the potatoes. (Use a sturdy item, one that won’t crack, from the pressure of pushing down on the boiled potatoes).
- Preheat oven to 450°F and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Boil a large pot of salted water (about 1 T.) and add potatoes. Cook for about 15 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender. Drain pot and set potatoes aside to cool.
- Once cool enough to handle, place potatoes on prepared baking sheet and mash with a potato masher until flat. Leave room between potatoes so they are not overcrowded.
- Top each potato with butter and half the Asiago cheese and fresh parsley. Place in preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until potatoes are nicely browned.
- Remove from oven and top with remaining cheese and fresh parsley. Serve immediately.
This recipe is one that’s been adapted by one created (and applauded & repeated dozens upon dozens of times) by Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Woman. http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/crash-hot-potatoes/