Savory or Sweet Flourless Crêpes
Traditional crêpes are a popular French dish made with a combination of flour & eggs. This extremely versatile, gluten free version omits the flour & creates a luscious wrap that you can savor with your favorite savory or sweet fillings.
Yields: 6 Crêpes
- 6 large eggs
- 3 T. half and half
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 6 oz. goat cheese (or cream cheese or mascarpone cheese)
- 12 grape tomatoes, sliced
- 6 oz. white mushrooms, sliced and sautéed
- 2 T. fresh basil, chopped
- 3 T. green onion, green part only, sliced
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 6 oz. fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream*
- 1-2 T. real maple syrup
- 1 c. balsamic vinegar
- Combine eggs, half and half, and olive oil in a large bowl and whisk until smooth. If desired, season batter with savory or sweet ingredients as described above.
- Lightly spray a 10” non-stick skillet with non-stick cooking spray and set over medium-low heat. (You may want to adjust heat up slightly to just below medium).
- Pour 1/4 cup of egg batter into preheated skillet and swirl pan to evenly coat the bottom with a thin layer. If any holes appear, add a little more batter to fill. Cover pan and cook until egg batter begins to set, approximately 2-3 minutes. Do not overcook.
- Once set, gently loosen the edges with a silicone spatula and flip the crêpe, being careful to not break or tear it in the process. Cook for one minute more and remove crêpe from pan. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Place desired filling ingredients in the center of each crepe and fold over both sides to cover.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
To Make Maple Whipped Cream:
- In a large glass bowl, blend 1 pint of heavy whipping cream with a hand or immersion blender until it doubles in size and changes texture.
- Then, drizzle maple syrup into the bowl and continue blending until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Set aside.
To Make the Balsamic Glaze:
- Heat 1 cup of good balsamic vinegar over medium-high heat until it begins to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the liquid is reduced to about 1/3 of its original volume, stirring continually.
- When the liquid becomes thick and syrupy, it is ready to use.
- Cool slightly before using.