This savory chicken recipe is perfect to serve at a Sunday supper! It’s also great to make ahead & use with other recipes on this website!
- 1 large white onion, cut into thick slices
- 1 – 5 to 6 lb. whole chicken
- Sea salt & black pepper, to taste
- 1 small container fresh poultry herbs (organic thyme, organic rosemary & organic sage), rinsed and divided
- 1/4 c. unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6 to 8 garlic cloves, finely minced & divided
- 1 c. homemade chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 425°F & arrange onion slices in bottom of a large, heavy-duty 12” skillet with high sides.
- Remove & discard neck & giblets from chicken. Place bird breast-side up on top of onion slices in skillet. Pat chicken dry with paper towels & generously season the outside with salt & black pepper (to taste).
- Separate out approximately 1/3 of the fresh thyme, rosemary, and sage from the bundle. Remove and discard the tough stems from the thyme and rosemary leaves. Combine the leaves with the sage before roughly chopping.
- Add the softened butter, half the minced garlic & the chopped fresh poultry herbs in a small bowl & stir to combine. Divide the herb butter into small chunks before tucking evenly under the chicken skin covering the breast meat.
- Massage the remaining minced garlic inside the cavity of the bird before stuffing with the remaining fresh poultry herbs. Secure legs together with kitchen string & then add the chicken broth to the skillet.
- Place skillet in preheated oven & roast for 1 hour & 30 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reads 165°F. Check every 30 minutes while cooking to make sure the skin isn’t becoming too brown. If it is, cover with aluminum foil after 1 hour and check for doneness after another 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove skillet from oven & carefully transfer chicken to a serving platter. Cover loosely with aluminum foil to keep warm and let rest for 15 to 20 minutes.
- While the chicken rests, discard the onion slices in the skillet & heat the remaining liquid over medium-high heat. Scrape the bottom of the skillet with a spatula or wooden spoon (depending on what kind of a skillet you’re using) to remove the browned bits. Continue cooking until the liquid is reduced by one-half. Once reduced, taste & season with salt & black pepper (if desired).
- To serve, carve the chicken & top each serving with a spoonful of the warm skillet sauce.