Put a little hula in your luau with this recipe, straight from the big island!
- 1/2 cup 100% organic coconut milk
- 2 T. organic lime juice, divided
- 1 T. gluten free soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 T. gluten free & organic brown sugar substitute
- 20 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/8 tsp. organic black pepper
- 1 (20 ounce) can of crushed pineapple in its own juice, drained well
- 1 organic jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped very fine
- 1 small organic red bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup gluten free & Kosher medium salsa or gluten free cocktail sauce (optional for serving)
- Use a shallow bowl that can be covered tightly & place the coconut milk into the bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon lime juice & the soy sauce. Stir to combine ingredients.
- Add the brown sugar substitute & stir well until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Add the shrimp & toss to coat evenly.
- Add the pepper & stir well.
- Cover & refrigerate at least 1 hour. This can be left to marinate overnight, if you prefer.
- Place the drained pineapple in a mixing bowl.
- Add both types of peppers & stir together. Add 1 tablespoon of lime juice & stir well.
- Cover bowl & place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Remove the shrimp from the marinade.
- Place 5 shrimp on a water soaked bamboo skewer. Continue until all the shrimp are used.
- Heat grill to medium heat. Place the skewers on the heated grill. Grill for 4 minutes then turn. Continue grilling an additional 3 minutes or until the shrimp is cooked through. Be careful & watch it because it might not take so long to cook!
- Remove the shrimp from the skewers and place on a large platter. Cover with the salsa before serving.