The secret to making fluffy Mexican rice that doesn’t stick together is to thoroughly rinse the uncooked rice under cold water for a couple minutes to remove the excess starch.
- 3 or 4 medium ripe organic tomatoes, seeded & roughly chopped
- 1 medium organic onion, roughly chopped
- 3 or 4 cloves organic garlic, peeled
- 2 organic jalapeño peppers, seeded
- 1/4 cup organic extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups long-grain white rice, thoroughly rinsed
- 2 cups organic, gluten free & sugar free chicken broth
- Fresh cilantro, stems removed & finely chopped
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 organic limes, cut into wedges (optional garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roughly chop tomatoes, onion, garlic and jalapenos and add to blender or food processor. Then process thoroughly until mixture is smooth.
- In a large oven-safe skillet with a tight-fitting lid, heat olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add rinsed rice & stir constantly with wooden spoon for 5 to 6 minutes or until it starts to turn brown.
- Add broth & pureed tomato mixture to pan. Stir until thoroughly combined with rice. Bring to a boil while stirring occasionally & then remove from heat.
- Cover skillet with lid & place in preheated oven on middle shelf.
- After 15 minutes, remove lid & carefully stir contents of pan. Cook another 15 minutes or until all excess moisture in pan has been absorbed.
- Remove from oven & stir in fresh cilantro. Season with salt & pepper (to taste).
- Serve with wedges of fresh lime (optional) to help brighten the taste.