Serves 4 to 6
- 4 thick cut bacon slices
- 1 1/2 lbs. fresh Brussels sprouts, trimmed & cut in half
- 2 T. organic extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cook bacon in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, turning once to ensure it’s cooked evenly on both sides. Cover pan with a splatter guard or the lid that’s not quite closed while cooking (if desired).
- Remove skillet from heat & place cooked bacon on a wire rack set over paper towels to drain. Once cool, blot bacon with paper towels to remove excess fat before crumbling.
- After skillet has cooled slightly, carefully drain the excess bacon fat into an empty can, glass jar or other heat-safe container. If any fat drips down the side of the skillet, be sure to wipe it off with a damp dish cloth, before putting it back on the burner.
- In a large bowl, combine Brussels sprouts & olive oil & toss to coat. Season with salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste).
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat & add Brussels sprouts & cook for several minutes until they begin to turn brown. Add the crumbled bacon to the skillet & place in the preheated oven. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring halfway through. Until the sprouts turn a rich, caramelized color.
- Remove skillet from oven & serve immediately.