Pasta Fagioli with Fresh Pesto
If you have never eaten fresh homemade pesto before, then you are in for a real treat & one that cannot be beat!
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 ribs organic celery, chopped
- 1 small organic onion, chopped
- 3 to 4 medium-sized organic garlic cloves, finely minced
- 4 c. organic chicken broth, or homemade, divided
- 1 tsp. dried organic oregano
- 1 tsp. dried organic basil (1 tablespoon fresh)
- 3 sprigs fresh organic rosemary, finely chopped (or 1 tsp. dried organic rosemary)
- Pinch of crushed organic & gluten free red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 medium organic tomatoes, finely chopped seeds & pulp removed
- 2 medium organic tomatoes, seeds & pulp removed, pureed
- 3/4 cups uncooked Ditalini or elbow pasta
- 1 can cannellini beans with liquid
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- In a heavy bottomed pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add celery and onions & sauté until tender, but not mushy. Add garlic & cook for 30 seconds to one minute. Do not brown.
- Add 2 1/2 c. of organic chicken broth to pot. Season with oregano, basil, rosemary & crushed red pepper flakes, if desired. Sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Add chopped & pureed tomatoes to pot. Simmer on low for 20 to 25 minutes. Add uncooked pasta & cook until tender. Approximately 10 minutes.
- Add beans & reserved liquids to pot then heat through. Ladle into bowls & top with a dollop of fresh pesto, if desired.
- Serve with freshly grated, or shaved Parmesan cheese & crusty Italian bread.