Spicy Sausage Soup
This mouthwatering soup takes less than an hour to make & the results are stupendous! You can eat this soup as a first course, or as a main dish with some crusty bread, or a salad.
- 2 T. organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. pork or turkey sausage
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 1/2 medium Poblano pepper, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 tsp. dried organic basil
- 1 tsp. dried organic oregano
- 1 tsp. dried organic rosemary
- 1 1/2 tsp. organic chili powder
- 1 t. ground organic cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground organic cinnamon powder
- Sea salt and organic black pepper, to taste
- 6 c. organic sugar free chicken stock
- 2 c. organic baby spinach
- 1 c. Cheddar Jack cheese, shredded
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage & cook, stirring occasionally until the sausage is no longer pink inside, approximately 5 minutes. As the sausage cooks break it into small pieces with a wooden spoon.
- Add the red & Poblano pepper, celery, basil, oregano, rosemary, chili powder, cumin, and cinnamon to the pot. Generously season with salt and black pepper (to taste) & stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies have softened around 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock & simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the spinach & cook for another 4 to 5 minutes, or just until the spinach wilts.
- Remove from heat & serve immediately.
- Top it with shredded Cheddar Jack cheese & some additional diced Poblano pepper (if desired).