If you use a rotisserie chicken it doesn’t take long to create this delicious & nutritious pot of soup!
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium organic white onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves organic garlic, finely minced
- 1 organic jalapeño pepper, seeded & finely diced
- 4 cups organic chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breasts
- 1 tsp. organic chili powder
- 1 tsp. organic cumin
- 1 (15-oz.) can Rotel, undrained*
- 1 T. pure tomato paste
- 1 cup frozen organic corn, thawed
- 1 (15 oz.) can organic black beans, drained & rinsed
- Sea salt & organic black pepper, to taste
*If you can’t find the Rotel, use a small use a 4 oz. can of green chilies with a regular can of diced tomatoes.
Baked Tortilla Chips
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 fresh, ripe organic avocado, seed removed & diced
- Fresh cilantro, stems removed & finely minced
For Baked Tortilla Strips:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Brush both sides of each tortilla with olive oil & sprinkle with salt. Stack tortillas into a pile & slice into thin strips.
- Arrange tortilla slices in a single layer on cookie sheets & sprinkle with more salt (if desired).
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes. Then rotate baking sheets so the chips brown uniformly. Total cooking time will be about 15 to 18 minutes. When tortilla strips are golden brown, remove from oven & cool on wire racks.
For the Soup:
- In a large, deep saucepan with a heavy bottom, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion & sauté until translucent, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add garlic & jalapeno peppers then cook another 1 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When garlic turns golden brown, add the remaining ingredients except the chicken & bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour to give flavors a chance to meld.
- Right before soup is ready, cover chicken & warm in microwave for 30 to 45 seconds (or put back in hot oven for a couple minutes).
- Taste soup then season with additional salt & pepper (if desired).
- Divide chicken amongst the bowls & ladle steaming hot soup over it. Top with baked tortilla chips. Then serve with diced avocado, fresh cilantro & shredded cheese.