This soup can be made on the stove, in a crockpot or in an Instant Pot™. Whatever your choice in making it, it’s a tasty soup rich in flavor and nutritional value.
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion. chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 – 15 oz. cans black beans
- 1 -14 1/2 oz. can stewed tomatoes
- 1 T. canola oil
- 2 T. chili powder
- 4 tsp. ground cumin
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 – 8 3/4 oz. can whole kernel corn or 1 cup thawed frozen corn
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro (optional), minced
- Using a colander, rinse and drain black beans.
- In a medium bowl, add half the black beans, reserving the rest for later. Add tomatoes to the bowl and mash together with a fork.
- In a large pan over medium heat, heat oil. Add garlic, onion, carrots, and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add chili powder and cumin. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add chopped apple, mashed bean and tomato mixture, remaining beans, broth and corn. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, 10-15 minutes more.
- Stir in salt and pepper. If you’re using cilantro, add it now.